You don’t need more time in your day. You need to decide.Seth Godin
Weekend – The two days we wait for as a reward for working so hard during the week. Every friday night we have the best time of our lives. We wake up midday on saturday hungover with a headache so bad you don’t want to do anything. Most of sunday is spend trying to feel better and being sad it is Monday tomorrow.
I was never really a party person, but I get having some down time at the end of the week. I love my time at home with my partner on friday nights. Both Jay and I work full time. I work in my awesome full-time Monday through Friday. Here is a list of things I work on in the weekends –
- Full marathon training (we have our whole year planned around races and we train for them almost the all year round). Our next race is a Half marathon in March and a Full in April 2020. Let me know if you would like to know more about our marathon training plans.
- Handmade over coffee – This is my handmade store I’ve had since 2012.
- Planning over coffee – I work on this weekly blog as a way to keep me accountable to my goals.
- Reading – I am currently reading January book of the month – ‘I will teach you to be rich’ by Ramit Sethi.
- Knitting – I can’t watch TV without knitting in my hand.
- Planning the week
- Grocery planning and shopping
- Errands around the house
- and yes I do ALL of these things EVERY WEEKEND. These are not once in a while things.
Running changed what weekends meant to me. Both of us are really disciplined about our running schedule. We wake up at 6.30 every saturday to go for a parkrun (s no late night friday nights for us). Since 2013, we wake up at 7 am on Sundays to go for our long runs (during the training season) otherwise we go to the gym or hiking.
Weekends are time for me to work on my handmade business. It started as a hobby about 7 years ago and I have not stopped since. Depending on how busy the season is, I work weeknights on orders and Saturdays ‘on’ the business, which mean I plan the marketing, new bag launches, inventory, ordering supplies and so on. On sundays I work on Planning over coffee. I work almost 8 hour days at home on the weekends.
Sunday night we spend planning our week. We plan our meals, who’s cooking, date nights and so on. You should never live a day in your life when you are not grateful for the next day. If you don’t like mondays then do something about it. I can’t wait to go back to work on mondays.
This weekend schedule may be different for you. We don’t have kids at this stage and I can choose to work 8 hours on the weekends. It may not be possible for you to do that. But if you constantly feel like there aren’t enough hours in your day may be it is time to rethink your priorities and saying no to some things (I know easier said than done, but it’s necessary). Spend more time on the things you love and are motivated to do.
In the next post, I am discussing all about my financial plan for 2020. Stay tuned.