The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing.Walt Disney
We hear about a lot of big fancy words like ‘the flow state’, ‘transient hypofrontality’. All they are trying to say is create a time and space that has your complete focus.
Developed by Francesco Cirillo, the pomodoro technique is absolutely life changing. This technique has helped me get through the biggest of the projects without any issues. It is the simplicity of this technique that will make it stick. Here are the steps in the Pomodoro technique –
- Choose a task – at this point split the task into smaller bit-sized steps.
- Set the timer for 25 mins – I use my phone app (there is a free pomodoro app available as well), or a kitchen timer.
- Only focus on the task – no going to the bathroom, no water, no phone. Just focus on the task.
- Take a 5 min break – Use this time to step away from the task. You can do all the things you were tempted to earlier, grab a cup of coffee.
- Repeat – Once you repeat this cycle 4 times take a longer break of 30 mins.
This has absolutely changed the way I work. At my full-time job – which is mostly computer based, this has helped me tremendously. I have tendencies to stay stuck to my screen and not move for hours at end, only to result in a headache at the end of the day. The breaks are perfectly timed to allow for little bit of walk around. I usually do a 50 mins and 10 mins break as I found that I got really into something and didnt enjoy breaks as much if they interrupted my flow. At home, working on my handmade stuff, I tend to snack (a lot). So this helps me keep it to the breaks.
Is there technique you follow to stay in flow state? I would love to know about them.