Your brain is plastic. You have the power within at any age, to be better, more capable, continuously growing a progressively more interesting life.Dr. Michael Merzenich
As times are changing, we are finding innovative ways to grow our business, spend time with family. Everyday is challenging. The key is understanding that it is challenging for everyone.
Neuroplasticity is used more in physiological/psychological sense it has a huge implication in mindsets. What it means is our brain is extremely malleable throughout our life, not just when we are kids. It will slowly change over time to create new pathways and connections, creating the sense of ‘the new normal’. Without getting into too much science, what I really want to emphasize there is the way we can use this awesome quality of our mind into living our best life.
Be it financial, emotional, physical aspects of our life, our experiences are registered in our memories. They strongly dictate our if we want to have that experience again or not. Positive experiences tend to be repeated, negative one tend to be avoided. Encouraging growth and positivity towards experiences you want to keep will make it easier to perform even the hard to achieve goals possible. The only this that makes it easier to do them is repetitions. Consistency leads to habit formations which make it easier to grow over time.
Growth mindset is the crucial for, well, growth. You have to believe that it is possible to develop talent through effort. Anything and everything can be done with the right mindset. Our brain can change over time. Our talents can change over time. I used to be able to write very fast and type very slow. Over the years I can’t write that fast anymore. I can type quite quick now. The more you do something the easier it gets.
If you are ever stuck and don’t know how to get to the next step, remember that ‘everything is figureoutable’ (by Marie Forleo). Use your brain as a tool to learn the things needed to get to the next step.
Here are some ways you can use it in your life.
- You were a spender before, change your mindset towards money and slowly change yourself into a saver/investor.
- You used to eat out all the time, slowly learn how to cook, make easy recipes and slowly increase your difficulty.
- You didn’t exercise much before. Change your mindset, make it a priority to go for a walk everyday. Make it a positive experience.
- Waking up at 5 am. I am struggling with this one. I have in my head that I am not a morning person and I need to change that mindset. I am doing all the other things like going to be early, having a morning routine. I know it is going to be difficult initially and will get easier over time.
- Specific talents – playing a musical instrument, knitting, sewing, baking, painting. These are all things we learn over time. As time passes we become better at it.
We aren’t born knowing everything. Everything can change over time. Identify your fixed mindset tendencies and consciously change them to becoming more growth oriented.
Is there any specific part of your life where are stuck and would like to achieve higher levels? Let me know how you plan to do it.